Sunday 12 January 2014

The Fellowship of the Ring

1246553

Book Title: The Fellowship of the Ring
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Series: The Lord of the Rings #1
Date Started: December 21st 2013
Date Completed: January 12th 2014
Genres: Fantasy, Adventure
Rating: Four stars
Review:

The Lord of the Rings is possibly the most famous fantasy novel of all time, and for a good reason. Out of the fantasy I've read, there's nothing quite like this novel. And to already know the story, and be aware of how much more is to come, is actually quite daunting. It's one of those books that does intimidate me because it is so well-known and loved and actually a really big book anyway. But it was worth the reader and I can't wait to get onto the sequels.

Frodo Baggins is a hobbit; a small, simple and content creature that lives under a hill in his comfy home. But when his guardian suddenly decides to abandon the Shire, leaving behind an old ring, Frodo reveals the terrifying truth of what is happening to Middle Earth. He sets off on a journey with elves, dwarves and wizards to destroy the One Ring and save Middle Earth from the evil of Sauron.

The Lord of the Rings is a hard read, I'll be honest. When I was reading it, I wasn't actually aware how hard it was until I stopped and just looked at how little I had actually read. I suppose that's actually a good thing; it shows I was enjoying the story as I read, no matter how fast I was going.
However, I think a lot of people go into reading the book thinking it's going to be reasonably easy reading - it's just the story that's long-winded. It's hard to remember that the book was actually published in the 1950s.
I think the other reason the book took me so long was the lengthy chapters, but frequent paragraph breaks. I'll always stop at a paragraph break, rather than in the middle of the text, but unfortunately the often appearances of these did make me read in little bursts.
Overall, though, the writing was very good. I loved the description, that really brought the world to life. The dialogue was engaging enough and the action was different to what I'm used to in Young Adult fiction, but in a way better.

Lord of the Rings is basically, hardcore, adventure fantasy in its most glorious form. I have never read anything like it and I don't think I'm ever going to. It's so hard to describe because it is literally what every other fantasy, whether intended or not, is based on. I don't think it's possible to create something completely different, because literature is so heavily influenced by this man that alarmingly few of the younger population are aware of.
The only downsides I can find is that you don't get a bit of a blurred idea of what is happening in Middle Earth that Frodo isn't able to see, and that the time periods are, in my opinion, a little unnecessary. I don't think Frodo had to wait…twenty odd years before leaving the Shire to help Gandalf. But that's more of a personal opinion and doesn't actually impact on the story.

I was a little disappointed to find out that I wasn't as close to the book characters, as I was to the film versions (I know I shouldn't compare them, but I do think it's worth mentioning). For me, this was just because there's so many characters, and even the main group is quite large. There just isn't enough time (believe it or not) to develop each individual character and still get on with the story.
Frodo is a very good protagonist, and he always will be. There's something really relatable about a person not knowing what's going on, but having the determination to keep going with it anyway. Furthermore, as we go through the story, Frodo is the person the reader can relate to the most, as he goes through the most perils, but always seems to come out the other side a different little hobbit.
Gandalf was just as wise as ever, and I even found myself turning to him when the Company was stuck, much like the characters themselves. It does make me wonder why he's always the one who knows everything, and just what he gets up to when he isn't with Frodo and the Company.
Sam, Pippin and Merry were all wonderful. I've always loved the little hobbits, although their individual personalities didn't shine out as much as I'd hoped they would. They did blend together a little, particularly Merry and Pippin, although they still had their key parts in the story.
Aragorn and Boromir are basically the strong men of the book. I'm not sure how much I like that, since Aragorn has such potential. Although, I do have a feeling he will become more and more important, and a larger character, as the story progresses.
Legolas and Gimli have a much closer relationship in the book, and I absolutely loved it. It was probably my favourite part of the book because it brings into the events of The Hobbit (which I have yet to read, but know the story of) where the dwarves and the elves are pretty much arch-enemies. I was brought up on Lord of the Rings, and I never got that idea when I was younger - in a way that's why I love it more, because it's a completely new idea for me. And I love that.

The pacing is probably the one reason why this book took me the longest any book has ever taken me. It is hard reading, but also the story is actually quite slow. If you're aware of the film (which I'm sure a lot of you are) then you're going to be thinking about the story from that perspective as you're reading. And essentially, that isn't what happens.
The book is its own story, and it does have a slower plot line. Furthermore, some parts of the story are told very quickly, and then other parts are a lot slower and described in more detail. I, personally, really loved that. I always think of films and books are separate entities, and this just emphasised that for me.

If you're a fantasy lover, you've got to read The Lord of the Rings. It really is the basis of fantasy and I can't imagine what modern fantasy books would be like without it. Be ready to read it when you start, because it does take a lot of effort and it takes a while, so you've got to be determined and patient. But it's definitely worth it.

Image Source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1246553.The_Fellowship_of_the_Ring

No comments:

Post a Comment