Monday 25 July 2016

BookTubeAThon 2016 Wrap Up

I did it! This year was my second time participating in the BookTubeAThon, and after what felt like a bit of a disastrous result at the time last year (1,393 pages out of an aspirational 2,410, and four books read) I am so proud of what I got through in 2016. Not only did I complete all of the challenges and read seven whole books, I also really enjoyed what I read and took part in some of the special events and challenges over on social media. (Okay, only a few twitter sprints and an instagram post, but it was more than I did last year.)
On top of my personal participation, I have to say thank you to Ariel and everyone involved in running the BookTubeAThon this year. Though I've only taken part twice, I've spectated pretty much since the beginning, and this year there was so much to do all over the internet: on top of the daily videos and challenges on the YouTube channel, we had Instagram challenges, genuine author pep talks and a constant stream of activity on Twitter. The community that's been built up is so nice to see, and I'm sure that next year will be even better.
If you have some free time, have a scroll through some of the challenges and people's entries from earlier in the week:
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/BookTubeAThon
Twiter - https://twitter.com/BookTubeAThon
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/booktubeathon

Book Read in the BookTubeAThon

624641 28696452 28335600
23019010 17131869 19358975 1243969

The Dreamers, Gilbert Adair (208 pages)
This Savage Song, V.E. Schwab (407 pages)
Thin Air, Michelle Paver (288 pages)
When Marnie Was There, Joan G. Robinson (288 pages)
Saga: Volume 2, Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (168 pages)
Saga: Volume 3, Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (144 pages)
Daphnis and Chloe, Longus (144 pages)

Of course, what I'd planned to read for this week changed quite a bit. I started reasonably on track, but gradually became aware that reading This Savage Song and its 407 pages was pushing me behind a little (completely worth it though). to compensate I replaced two of the books with some graphic novels and shuffled around the challenges a little. I was close to just ignoring the challenges at one point, realising that Thin Air, the book I had originally planned to read after sunset, was going to take longer than I thought, and so I needed to use that as my extra book on top of the specific challenges since it didn't fit into anything else. But I managed to sort it out: When Marnie Was There could be moved to the book with yellow on the cover, I could read Saga at night, and then bring in a whole Daphnis and Chloe for the book older than me.
Out of the books I read, This Savage Song and the Saga volumes were by far the best: I could barely put any of these down, and even between other errands I had to run throughout the week I kept coming back to them when I had free time. But, having said that, there weren't any books I read that I disliked, just perhaps some slight disappointments.
Reviews for all the novels I read during the BookTubeAThon will be up soon.

Challenge Overview
Read a book with yellow on the cover - COMPLETED with When Marnie Was There
Read a book only after sunset - COMPLETED with Saga: Volume 2
Read a book you discovered through booktube - COMPLETED with Saga: Volume 3
Read a book by one of your favourite authors - COMPLETED with This Savage Song
Read a book older than you - COMPLETED with Daphnis and Chloe
Read and watch a book-to-movie adaptation - COMPLETED with The Dreamers
Read seven books - COMPLETED with Thin Air

Day 1: Monday 18th of July
Books and Pages Read:
The Dreamers, Gilbert Adair (208 pages) [finished!]
This Savage Song, V. E. Schwab (48 pages)
Pages Read Today: 256 pages
Total Pages Read: 256 pages

Day 2: Tuesday 19th of July
Books and Pages Read:
This Savage Song, V.E. Schwab (68 pages)
Thin Air, Michelle Paver (37 pages)
Pages Read Today: 105 pages
Total Pages Read: 361 pages

Day 3: Wednesday 20th of July
Books and Pages Read:
This Savage Song, V.E. Schwab (260 pages)
Pages Read Today: 260 pages
Total Pages Read: 621 pages

Day 4: Thursday 21st of July
Books and Pages Read:
This Savage Song, V.E. Schwab (31 pages) [finished!]
When Marnie Was There, Joan G. Robinson (78 pages)
Pages Read Today: 109 pages
Total Pages Read: 730 pages

Day 5: Friday 22nd of July
Books and Pages Read:
Thin Air, Michelle Paver (159 pages)
Saga: Volume 2, Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (86 pages)
Pages Read Today: 245 pages
Total Pages Read: 975 pages

Day 6: Saturday 23rd of July
Books and Pages Read:
Thin Air, Michelle Paver (92 pages) [finished!]
When Marnie Was There, Joan G. Robinson (210 pages) [finished!]
Saga: Volume 2, Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (82 pages) [finished!]
Pages Read Today: 384 pages
Total Pages Read: 1,359 pages

Day 7: Sunday 24th of July
Books and Pages Read:
Saga: Volume 3, Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (144 pages) [finished!]
Daphnis and Chloe, Longus (144 pages) [finished!]
Pages Read Today: 288 pages
Total Pages Read: 1,647 pages

I'm very happy with what I read this week: the equivalent of about four or five novels read in one week, and generally I enjoyed everything I read. It was nice to see so many people getting involved across social media as well, and I hope everyone else was just as successful. Thanks for visiting, and happy BookTubeAThon.

Image Sources - 
The Dreamers - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/624641.The_Dreamers
This Savage Song - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28696452-this-savage-song
Thin Air - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28335600-thin-air
When Marnie Was There - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23019010-when-marnie-was-there
Saga: Volume 2 - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17131869-saga-volume-2
Saga: Volume 3 - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19358975-saga-volume-3
Daphnis and Chloe - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1243969.Daphnis_and_Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment