Thursday 5 September 2019

Kingdom of Souls


Book Title: Kingdom of Souls
Author: Rena Barron
Date Started: August 27th 2019
Date Completed: September 5th 2019
Genres: Fantasy, Adventure
Quality Rating: Three Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Three Stars
Final Rating: Three Stars
Review:

◆ Thanks to NetGalley for this eBook copy for review ◆

In all honesty, I was bored throughout most of what I read, but when 25% rolled around (which is usually my cut-off point) I thought maybe it just needed a boost to get going. But suddenly at 30% it was Part Two and I didn't understand the point of Part One, so I gave myself a break and gave up on the book. Ultimately, while the world was awesome and there were the foundations for a good story, it refused to get on with it. Far too much unnecessary exposition and information dumping in the middle of scenes, making the plotline itself disjointed. The worldbuilding is great, but I don't need to be told in great detail because you want to delay until some action happens. Please, tell me a story, not anecdotes. In all fairness, this usually wouldn't be enough for me to wholly give up on a book but I found Arrah, our heroine, so passive as a protagonist that I was more rooting for something to go wrong to have some drama than for her to triumph. Not only does she not shut up about not having magic (even though she says she doesn't need it), she proceeds to refuse to attack her problem from a different angle. I'm pretty sure she will later develop magic in the book (or prove she doesn't need it) but she wasn't anywhere near that point a third into the book. I hope other people enjoy Kingdom of Souls more than I did, but in the end it wasn't enough to persuade me to invest more time in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment