Sunday 17 January 2021

The Amber Spyglass


Book Title: The Amber Spyglass
Author: Philip Pullman
Series: His Dark Materials #3
Date Started: December 31st 2020
Date Completed: January 17th 2021
Genres: Fantasy, Adventure
Quality Rating: Five Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Four Star
Final Rating: Five Stars
Review:

Of all the books in the His Dark Materials trilogy, it's what I remember least of from my childhood. Rereading it again as an adult was a weird mix of the novel and fragments of my own memories scattered through. It's not really what I remembered, but that made it all the better to rediscover.

I can't help but feel this review is going to be less of a review and more of an afterthought having finished my reread of this trilogy. Lyra and Will remain fantastic protagonists, and while I'm not here to compare the novels with the BBC show, I definitely appreciate Mary Malone more as an adult and having watched Simone Kirby's wonderful portrayal.

It's so good, and in a lot of ways I find it hard to grasp why, but it has to do with being honest and not underestimating its (mostly younger) audience. It did not disappoint but I am at a loss of what to say about it. I only know that I am glad I grew up with these books, and am excited to begin the sequel trilogy now that I truly remember the original story.

No comments:

Post a Comment