Tuesday 28 December 2021

The Vegetarian


 Book Title: The Vegetarian
Author: Han Kang
Translator: Deborah Smith
Date Started: December 17th 2021
Date Completed: December 28th 2021
Genres: Contemporary, Magical Realism
Quality Rating: Four Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Four Star
Final Rating: Four Stars
Review:

The Vegetarian is perhaps the most well-known novel to come out of South Korea in recent years, at the top of many reading lists and recommended relentlessly - as it should be. But, oof, it's a heavy one.

I'd read a short story by Han Kang before, and while I remember enjoying it I couldn't say I could recall it very well. What I do remember was her writing style (translated by Deborah Smith), and the imagery of this novel brought it back to me as being both beautiful and shocking.

I thought that the parts of the book were perhaps separate stories for a bit due to the lack of names until I realised they're of course the same family unit. This is in some way deliberate though; even those connected have absolutely unique experiences and perspectives. The difference in gendered experiences is obviously the biggest gap here.

I actually find this book hard to talk about because it hit me on a very personal level, and yet some parts of it remain frustratingly elusive. It is one of those books that throws you into a void for a little bit after finishing, and perhaps that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment