Monday 13 May 2013

City of Glass



Book Title: City of Glass
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #3
Date Started: May 9th 2013
Date Completed: May 12th 2013
Genres: Romance, Fantasy, Thriller, Action
Rating: Five stars
Review:

This series just gets better and better. I didn't think you could get a more detailed story out of a Young Adult book after the last novel, but I was happily proven very, very wrong.

Pretty much immediately following on from City of Ashes, we follow Clary and Jace and Simon (etc etc.)'s story as they continue with their struggles against Valentine. After deciding to take matters into the Clave's hand, they plan to go to Idris to raise the issue of Valentine and the mystery of awaking Clary's mother. But when the group are attacked by the portal, Simon gets dragged along for the ride and the Morgensten family tree seems to become a lot more intricate than either Clary or Jace first thought.

The writing was brilliant as always. I have a feeling it's improved since the first book, but as I've been going through I haven't really noticed any particular changes. But I can definitely get more into the text now. Maybe that's because of the detail of the plot or how attached I am to the characters. I don't know.

The plot was amazing. Again. Like I've already said, I was really surprised at how deep the plot went and how many different layers were added on top. You can really tell how much thought Clare put into how everything was going to work out. I usually don't like lots of characters being added in because it can be really distracting and unnecessary, but I felt that the new characters in this book really added to the story and gave it that extra something.

Brilliant plot twist. I had been partly spoiled, but I still had to stop and stare at the page for a second when I'd read it. I did see Sebastian's role coming though. I was proud I worked that out. Although it was pretty obvious.

Apart with Reckless, Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Skulduggery Pleasant, I don't think I've ever been so attached to a group of characters. What I really love is the diversity of personalities and how Cassandra Clare isn't afraid to show their dark sides.
Simon's still my favourite character, and I was really happy in this book that he's starting to get his own freedom and willpower. I've been waiting for that for a while.
Jace is wonderful as always.
Although Clary was never a damsel-in-distress type of character, she's really starting to prove it now.
Izzy is brilliant.
Alec and Magnus are my OTP. Magnus was brilliant in this book. He really was.
And I love Sebastian. New character who's future got spoiled for me. I was most annoyed.

Idris is wonderful. I always think, if you've mentioned some magical city for a while in books, it's extremely hard to do it justice when you actually present it to the reader. But the Glass City was everything I imagined - although I do miss Brooklyn.

What I can see developing in the series - and what I really love actually - is that the story no longer revolves around Clary. I would still say she is probably the main protagonist, and the deeper plotline is still about her. But we're following other people's journeys, as well. A lot of this book focuses on Simon's experience of Idris, and Jace has a large part to himself too. Even Isabelle and Alec have their solo chapters. I feel like I'm getting to know a lot more people instead of just Clary. I think it takes courage to do that. But Clare's pulled it off amazingly well.

And finally. Why would you do that? Why would you kill him? It's not fair and I cried (inside) at his funereal. (Guess you guys will just have to read it to find out what I'm talking about.)
But you did create that lovely plot twist. That I think everyone loves you for. But still. Why.

Recommended to anyone who likes fantasy, action, romance - all the typical Young Adult stuff, but to a much higher quality. I was recommend reading the first books before you move on to this, as I doubt a lot of it would make much sense otherwise. But they get better, just keep that in mind.

Image Source: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9GaHuvr5HDU/TpEc7
mHi8nI/AAAAAAAAAU0/3iHERAx9kIk/s1600/cityofglass.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment