Monday 3 March 2014

Falling Kingdoms

13613142

Book Title: Falling Kingdoms
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Series: Falling Kingdoms #1
Date Started: March 1st 2014
Date Completed: March 2nd 2014
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Adventure
Rating: Four stars
Review:

Although Falling Kingdoms hasn't been everywhere I've turned, when I have heard about it, only good things have been there. I'm a little bit disappointed that it wasn't the 'Game of Thrones for teens', as I had heard. However, I did really enjoy this book, and literally couldn't put it down.

The lands of Auranos, Limeros and Paelsia are on the verge of war. After the sudden murder of a peasant in a market by Auranos' princess' fiancé, the leaders of each kingdom begin to plan. In the midst of it, the young Auranos princess must travel into enemy territory for the chance to save her sister; the brother of the murdered peasant finds himself leading a revolution; and on the other side of the continent, a brother and sister must uncover the secrets between the strange magic unearthing itself.

To be honest, the writing wasn't great. I got through this book very quickly partly because it was easy to read and partly because of the story. I was indecisive about what rating to give this book; it I hadn't found it so hard to put down, it would have been three stars. But because I enjoyed it so much, it was too harsh to give it a lower rating.
I've heard the second book is better, so I just hope that the writing is slightly more complex.

Although quite predictable, the development in this story is amazing. In actually quite a short period of time, all of the characters grow so much in their personalities and how they act around people. On top of that, the spiralling of events is very realistic and I absolutely loved how the same things were shown in such distorted and different ways in each separate part of the kingdoms. The accidental murder was looked on in so many different ways, and meant different things to each of the characters.
I really would have liked a bit more focus on the magic, though I can see how that will soon became very key to the story. The little parts with the Watchers I also thought was a bit unnecessary since not much has been explained yet. I must also complain about the over-the-top testosterone levels and the helpless girls. I do understand that the time period this is set in demands that women can't fight etc, but from rather strong-minded individuals, I did feel there was a little too much of depending on men when they could have at least tried something themselves.
Finally, I'm not entirely sure I like the end. To be honest, the whole book feels like it's leading up to something much bigger later. I understand that's necessary to make the later books amazing, it's just a little annoying when there's four hundred pages acting basically as a prequel.

There is a really good variety of characters and individual situations in this book. It is very driven by the people in it, and I liked every chapter despite the fact that I looked forward the Cleo chapters in particular.
I was immediately drawn to Cleo. I'm not sure why, as she isn't the typical character I love, but I connected with her and wanted to know her story. I think the biggest amount of tension was also created around Cleo's story and it had the best ensemble in her life. (Especially Theon, Nic and Aron. Cleo was a little too popular with the men, but I liked the different attitudes she had towards them and how those changed as she developed as a character through the story.)
I also really liked Jonas' story. It did link in with Cleo's more than I would have liked, and felt a little bit like a side-story, but I can see how it'll develop more in later books. He, also, developed as a character and I really liked how clearly he was blinded by his hate.
Magnus and Lucia were a bit odd to me. They started off well and then faded a little into the background. I was also a little confused as Lucia seemed to be the pivotal character plot-wise and yet we don't learn much about her at all. Perhaps this was leading up to future events, but there's a little too much foreshadowing in this book. Magnus, again, interested me with his development and hatred.

The pace was very good due to the change of perspectives and a lot going on in the story. I've already mentioned how hard I found to put it down. The only problem with the pacing would be that the action and climax scenes were quite short. I would have liked the tension to be spread out a bit more to keep my heart racing.

I would recommend Falling Kingdoms to fantasy fans. I've always loved these richer fantasy worlds, and I think Falling Kingdoms would be a great way to get into these novels - I just think there are some better versions out there. However, I really couldn't put this down and I loved reading it. I can't wait for the next book.

Image Source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13613142-falling-kingdoms

No comments:

Post a Comment