Friday 14 March 2014

Rebel Spring

17239882

Book Title: Rebel Spring
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Series: Falling Kingdoms #2
Date Started: March 12th 2014
Date Completed: March 14th 2014
Genres: Fantasy, Adventure, Romance, Action
Rating: Five stars
Review:

I absolutely loved this book and couldn't put it down. Looking back on my notes about the first book, every issue I had with the characters, pacing, plot etc were all improved on to the point I didn't even notice them when I was reading. It was just great and I can't wait for the last one.

Auranos has fallen to the King of Blood, and now Mytica's people have to fight back if they want to stay alive. Jonas, leader of the rebels, must find a way to take down the evil King. Cleo is held captive within the palace itself, and when the king reveals a new plan for her future, it seems her options are narrowing. Magnus, now engaged to a princess he knows hates him, must find a way to take his life into his own control, and out of his father's. And Lucia will have to find a way to tame her newfound powers if she is to stop the darkness from taking her over.

I seem to remember not liking the writing that much in the previous book, but this time I was too engaged in the story to pay much attention to it. That isn't negative - it just compliments the story more than the writing.
I especially loved the descriptions of the world-building, magic and geography of this fantastical world. It's not amazingly vivid like some other fantasy books I've read, but the complexity and concepts aren't common to find in a Young Adult book.
I also think the relationships were very cleverly done. It seems to be more of a love constellation than a love triangle - each character isn't quite sure where their heart lies and if they should trust it over their head. Just like real people.

The plot line was constantly changing in this novel. I think the previous book was quite predictable, however this sequel has so much happening that you're never entirely sure what will happen next and what consequences each action someone makes will.
I was really happy to find that magic was featured much more in this book. I remember vaguely being told about the myths and stories about magic in Mytica last time, but it never really had any impact on the plot. This time, it seems the whole trilogy is going to start spiralling around this newly discovered magic.
And finally, I just have to mention amazing it was to have strong female characters leading a lot of the story. In Falling Kingdoms, the women tended to be sidelined and didn't always prove that they could do anything. But this time, they proved their worth and didn't let anyone take advantage of them.

Although I favoured certain characters in the first, I've fallen in love with all of them for this book. I still love Cleo's parts, but the development shown from all of them is amazing. These are a whole different cast of characters from the ones at the beginning of the first book.
Cleo is still my favourite character and I can't help but feel sorry for her and everything that's happened. But, at the same time, it's made her such a strong character who won't let anyone take advantage of her. And then there's also the side where she is vulnerable and scared about what will happen to her and her people if she can't take the throne. There's so much to her character, yet there seems to be nothing at first glance. I like people like that.
I've grown to love Magnus more. He was so blinded by hate at the end of the last book, yet he's managed to find some sort of affection of the people who pose him the biggest threat, and he's become something like a good person. I can't wait to see what happens to him next, because I have a feeling he's going to be a hero.
Jonas' story was smaller than I thought it would be, but I still really liked it. He's a more complicated character than he seems and I think he struggles a lot with choosing between himself and the rebellion.
Lucia doesn't annoy like I think she did in the first book, although she doesn't particularly stand out to me. I think her story is very key to the whole trilogy, though she doesn't get as much attention as the other characters. I think I might be slightly relieved to that because her parts are a little slower than the rest of the story.

I couldn't put the book down throughout the whole thing. There was always something happening, whether it was detail for the general plot or an action scene with danger. I loved every minute of it.

I would recommend the Falling Kingdoms series to any fantasy or adventure lovers. There's also some astounding character development and some great romance in there. The first book did have its issues for me, but this sequel blows it out of the water. I would like the next one right now please.

Image Source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17239882-rebel-spring

No comments:

Post a Comment