Monday 22 April 2013

Ironside


Book Title: Ironside
Author: Holly Black
Series: A Modern Tale of Faerie #2
Date Started: April 21st 2013
Date Completed: April 22nd 2013
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Adventure
Rating: Four stars
Review:

I read this book in about a day because it was so good. I don't do that a lot. But I did this time. As you may know, I finished reading the prequel to Ironside (Tithe) yesterday afternoon. And now I've already finished the sequel. But there aren't any more. Which is very very sad and I may consider crying.

Ironside is set around two months after the events of Tithe, and continues Kaye, Roiben and Corny's story. Now that all are familiar with both the human and faerie world, things are starting to get heated due to Roiben's new state of power. But the faeries aren't happy with Kaye's presence in the Unseelie Court, and she is tricked into an impossible quest by which she can not see Roiben again until she's completed this. But she doesn't have much time to dwell on her predicament as tensions are rising between the Courts and danger is around every corner.
(I feel like one of those people who writes blurbs.)

Again, the writing wasn't overly sophisticated, but perfectly adequate for the story. The changes between each character's perspective also showed a lot more sides of the story this time, which made the plot a lot more intricate and interesting.

The characters again.
I missed Roiben, but was happy when he did make smaller appearances and then more towards the end of the book. But I missed him and Kaye together.
Kaye was as awesome as always, and I felt for her even more in some of the situations she was put in.
And Corny. Oh Corny. You are still my favourite character and I am so happy he finally found what he was looking for.

The plot was far deeper than the first book, and I really enjoyed learning about all the different rituals and parts and details about the two faerie courts. I loved the way that Black seemed to turn it into a crime/on-the-run novel as well as a fantasy romance. All my favourite genres in one basically. The only thing I need now are some dystopian catastrophes.
The romance, again, was just right. Even though most of the book the two main characters aren't with each other, there's still a good amount of romance in it, but in the right doses and perfectly described. Completely believable and engaging - I think it's hard to write romance for the reader rather than yourself. But Black has definitely mastered it.

You know when authors tie in certain book series' with others they've made. Valiant's people (which I had a read a while before this one) were all involved near the end. Which was just amazing. I was so happy to read about them again and they fitted in perfectly with the story.

Recommended to fans of romance and fantasy but also, as I said, anyone who likes a good mystery or crime novel. But I would advise reading Tithe first, as the details would be hard to catch up with without reading the prequel. Also, serious spoilers for both books. Read them in the right order. But definitely read them.



Image Source: http://25.media.tumblr.com/27c4c6d0938ca68cef2979dc7b3d7cd3/
tumblr_mffremKvo01s031rmo1_400.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment