Sunday 21 April 2013

Tithe


Book Title: Tithe
Author: Holly Black
Series: A Modern Tale of Faerie #1
Date Started: April 19th 2013
Date Completed: April 21st 2013
Genres: Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Adventure
Rating: Four stars
Review:

I had definitely forgotten how much I loved fantasy until I read this book. I'd also forgotten how good Holly Black is. Even though I was a little surprised at first, as it took a while to get into - which Black's books aren't usually like - it was brilliant by the end.

The story revolves around Kaye, who rescues a faerie knight in the forest, and is then told to stay away from him as he could be dangerous. But, being the reckless teenager she is, she ignores these warnings and finds herself buried in a ancient fey ritual that might just end in her death or the end of balance in the faeryworld.

I could tell this was one of Holly Black's earlier books are the writing was a lot simpler than The Curse Workers series for example. But there was nothing wrong with it, and I found it a lot easier to understand the details of the plot the further I read. However, I would have liked certain parts of the story to be in more depth. Black has always been a genius at plot twists, as she is here. But I wish she'd go into more detail about them so I could get even more engrossed in the spiral of events that occur. Basically - make a bigger book, Holly. I need more.

Secondly, the characters.
Kaye is amazing. I love her especially because she isn't the typical hero you find in Young Adult fiction: she's what some people would refer to as an 'emo' yet she has some of the same qualities associated with heroines these days (recklessness; an avid reader; back-mouthing attitude). But Black was no afraid to go full out in her description and growth of the character. Which I admire her for greatly, since she made a brilliant character in the end.
And then Roiben. I didn't know whether to trust him, or to hate him, or to be scared of him. She kept changing our perception of the faery throughout the entire book and it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
And Corny. Corny is my favourite character, no question about it. He's amazing and he's hilarious and he's lovely and Holly Black was really able to show his personality in a realistic way (here I go again) that I completed believed.

The plot wasn't based on the romance - hallelujah. It had the perfect amount, I think, and Black restrained from taking over the storyline when arguments happened - which I think is a very hard thing to do and still make believable.
And the twists and turns of the storyline was just awesome. I love it when in books you get this plot that just goes all over the place and back-and-forth because it can. You don't get that anywhere else - TV, film, nothing. And these cliffhangers fitted in with the story wonderfully. And I did not see the end coming. That is all I will say.

Recommended to anyone who loves fantasy first of all. The creatures and places described in here are so rich and beautiful, I half wish I was there myself. And secondly, anyone who likes romance. Like I said, this isn't based around romance, but it's certainly there.
Note that this is an easy read, so don't expect classic-style writing. But that doesn't stop it from being an absolutely brilliant book.



Image Source: http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/yabookreads/tithe.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment