Saturday 8 June 2013

How to Talk to Girls at Parties



Book Title: How to Talk to Girls at Parties
Author: Neil Gaiman
Date Started: June 5th 2013
Date Completed: June 8th 2013
Genres: Romance, Mystery, Fantasy
Rating: Five stars
Review:

I really need to read more Neil Gaiman novels. They're brilliant and engaging and mysterious and wonderful and I need to read more of them.


How to Talk to Girls at Parties is a very short novella that tells the story of how Enn goes to a party with his friend Vic and has the common social-awkwardness of struggling to talk to girls. However, when Enn finally does manage to stutter a word out, it seems that the girls may not be quite as ordinary as he expected.

Gaiman's writing is always amazing. It's engaging, it's exciting, it's humorous, it's realistic. The flow and pace is so perfectly set that you really involved in the plot within the first sentence.
I think, especially in this book, he is able to infer a much more detailed and mysterious plot line below his actual words that creates a menacing and puzzling atmosphere for the reader.

The actual story left me wanting more. At the beginning, it does state that this story continues in another of Gaiman's books: which explains the abundance of loose ends on the last page. I definitely want to know what happens next, as so little is revealed, and yet so much is suggested like clues for a detective. In a way, I'm not sure how well it does work as a novella, since it's left open so wide at the end.

I really like Enn - he's the typical nerdy guy, but he's got a kind of naive innocence that's narrated so believably that I really emphasise with his character and want him to do well.
I quite like Vic too, he's definitely the cool kid who abandons his friend at the first girl, but there is a sense that he genuinely wants his friend to get somewhere in life.
There aren't really any other characters that have much significance other than that, which is why I wished it went on for a little longer so I could learn a bit more about these characters or at least get introduced to a few more.

The concept of the girl's bizarre nature (can't really say more than that if avoiding spoilers) caught my attention, forcing me to actually get the rest of this story and read on. I'm really eager to find out where exactly these girls are from and how they'll affect Enn and even Vic.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes little reads that are brilliantly written. There's a lot of humour, as well as a flare of mystery in the story. You'll want to continue the story. This novella is also a brilliant introduction in Neil Gaiman's writing if you haven't tried anything of his before.

Image Source: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81zYz6Q76DL._SL1500_.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment