Sunday 9 June 2013

Origins: The Fire



Book Title: Origins: The Fire
Author: Debra Driza
Series: Mila 2.0 #0.5
Date Started: June 9th 2013
Date Completed: June 9th 2013
Genres: Adventure, Action, Thriller
Rating: Three stars
Review:

I was a bit disappointed to find out that this is literally 17 pages long, and that the rest of the ebook is the first seven chapters of Mila 2.0. I didn't read the excerpt, because I'd much rather read the whole thing in one go - something I'm doubting now if I'm honest.


Origins: The Fire tells of a girl who wakes up in the middle of the night to find her house on fire. After climbing out of her window and working her way down to the ground she notices a car in the driveway, and realises her parents are back home early and inside the house. Instinct kicks in and she goes back into the house to get lost in the flames trying in vain to find her parents.

It wasn't written terribly badly, but nothing caught my attention particularly. The style is very simple and evidently aimed at Young Adults due to the lack of detail and adventurous description. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I feel that the story had a lot of potential to become very interesting, and just didn't.

The story was your typical dramatic YA theme. As this is a novella, I'm not completely disheartened for the novel; this was obviously made to get some kind of attention and make readers get through the first seven chapters, to encourage them to read the whole thing. Like I said, I haven't read the seven chapters because I'd rather read it in one go. But it was pretty obvious what was going to happen in the fire, although the end had a nice unexpected twist that I assume is where the actual novel continues from.

The protagonist, which I assume is Mila, even though there is no name mentioned at any point, annoys me a little. Perhaps it might be because of her utter brainlessness in the fire, but she annoys me a little, and I'm not entirely sure why. She just doesn't seem to think through things - and let's face it, very few people would go back into a burning house when they're just got out of it to find people they don't even know are in there, especially not a kid (and there's fair enough).

I was expecting a futuristic, sci-fi kind of setting, but it turned out to be a typical suburban household. I'm not really interested in normal life like this, so I do hope that the actual novel is different.
It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. I am slightly dubious about what Mila 2.0 itself is going to be like, but 17 pages of a very short novella isn't going to completely decide my thoughts.

I would recommend it to...I'm not really sure. I read this to see if I would like the novel, but I'm not really encouraged. Despite saying that, I do think I am going to try the book in the hopes that more time and effort has gone into it to make it more interesting and better written.

Image Source: http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1351585321l/16118288.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment