Wednesday 5 June 2013

What Really Happened in Peru



Book Title: What Really Happened in Peru
Author: Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan
Series: The Bane Chronicles #1
Date Started: June 1st 2013
Date Completed: June 5th 2013
Genres: Fantasy, Comedy, Romance, Adventure
Rating: Four stars
Review:

This is the perfect novella to accompany the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series'. Not only does it give us an insight into one of the best character's past and how they've changed throughout centuries, but it's also an enjoyable, hilarious short story that I wish went on for a lot longer.


What Really Happened in Peru tells of four events to happen to Cassandra Clare's character of Magnus Bane (the high warlock of Brooklyn in the time of the Mortal Instruments). We know Magnus has been banned from entry to Peru, and these short stories tell us just how and why he became banished from the country in a whirlwind of heartbreak and humorous exploits.

The writing was much like that in Clare's full novels, although there is that extra flair that I picked up on that I assume came from the assistance of co-author Sarah Rees Brennan (I haven't read any of her work, so I can't be sure, but there is something added and different to the general style). I found the narration humorous, as well as the actual lines and story - something I'm not entirely familiar with but liked a lot.

Throughout the Mortal Instruments series we're constantly hearing about all these wild things Magnus has done in the past and all the trouble he's caused with his personality without really meaning to. The extravagant myths work perfectly with his character and are even more entertaining when re-lived in these stories.

I always liked Magnus, but now I really empathise with his character and fully appreciate his true majesty. He's a fascinating and complex character that has many hidden sides as well as his showy personality on the surface.
The inclusion of Ragnor Fell was interesting, as we learn very little about him in the series, and it proves how many ties Magnus really does have with the magical world.
The other characters were also amazing and I love the involvement of the other characters that really brought the stories to live and showed a more sensitive side to the protagonist.

I usually get sad with novellas, because I want them to be longer and this is no exception. I didn't expect Cassandra Clare to be able to write novellas due to the character development she has in her novels and how the plot is mainly focused on their journeys, but actually she did this amazingly well so that I actually thought of it as a comedy as well as fantasy and romance.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes fantasy, comedy and romance. Also, if you're not sure about Clare's books, this would be the perfect taster to decide to get into the Mortal Instruments or Infernal Devices series'. I really enjoyed it, despite the lack of depth - but after all it is only a novella and an impressive amounts of emotions was contained within the odd hundred pages.

Image Source: http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1366745722l/17334079.jpg.

No comments:

Post a Comment