Sunday 9 June 2013

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord



Book Title: The Assassin and the Pirate Lord
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: Throne of Glass #0.1
Date Started: June 8th 2013
Date Completed: June 9th 2013
Genres: Adventure, Action, Thriller, Fantasy
Rating: Five stars
Review:

I really liked the look of the Throne of Glass series, and I thought am good taster for the books was to try one of the novellas that had been released. I'm really glad I did, because I enjoyed this story massively and I can't wait to read the other novellas and the actual novels.


The Assassin and the Pirate Lord is a short story about the Throne of Glass' protagonist, Celeana Sardothien (I think I spelt that right). Celeana is a sixteen-year-old female assassin, and one of the best. When she's sent off to conduct business with a pirate, but finds when she gets there that the circumstances of her mission were not quite as she expected, herself and Sam, another young assassin whom Celeana grew up with and is constantly bickering with, decide to create a plan to free a group of slaves. But just because they're trained assassins doesn't mean everything will go quite as smoothly as planned.

I really love Sarah J Maas' writing style. It's simple, but you get a lot of attitude and emotions from the characters even though it isn't told from the first person.
The action is also flawlessly detailed; I could picture everything that went on vividly, despite the lack of long-winded descriptions. All the sentences flow really well together and I just really enjoyed it.

The story was original and carried out very well. The concept is simple enough but the world around the ideas was built up so well in such a short amount of time, I knew what was happening almost immediately, which allowed me to pay more attention to the finer details and just enjoy the story. (Maybe it wasn't the kind of story that makes a reader think, but I don't think every book has to have that; this story worked perfectly well without that kind of style.)

I really like Celeana. She's kick ass and awesome and has a lot of attitude, but not to the point where she gets annoying. Her arrogance is definitely there, but she doesn't play around with it too much, and it's realistic. She definitely has the relevant emotions too, and they're presented perfectly for the situation. She's a very believable character in my opinion.
I also love Sam. I can see why he and Celeana are always at each other's throats, but I think they're a brilliant pair. (There's definitely chemistry there - and it's shown very subtly, but enough to imply something's going on. I'm curious to see whether this is continued on in the other novellas and the actual books.) I think their relationship is really interesting because it has the different dynamics and sides: their full-on anger at each other; the childish bickering; the reluctant affection; the brother/sister bond they seem to have.

I think it's very hard to create whole stories within novellas because there's so little space for development of the plot, but actually this book had a complete story in it and was done very well so that none of it was rushed, but the pace wasn't too slow either. I'm very impressed.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves to read action and adventures. It's a really thrilling story, but also has one quite moments that work really well. It's a brilliant introduction into the author's work and I'm really looking forward to reading more of Maas' writing.

Image Source: http://www.bookchickcity.com/wp-content
/uploads/2012/07/The-assassin-and-the-pirate-lord.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment