Monday 18 March 2013

City of Bones

Book Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Date Started: March 12th 2013
Date Completed: March 18th 2013
Genres: Fantasy, Thriller, Romance, Action
Rating: Four stars
Review:

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Again, I expected it to be a typically teenage vampire romance that I wouldn't enjoy. And to some extent that's true.

But I did actually enjoy it. It was a breath of fresh air to finally read a 3rd person book and the writing style was very good, which meant I was able to focus on the plotline of the story rather than stress about how badly written it was. (Although the long chapters did make it a little hard to read around school, but that's more of a technicality.)

The story was good. Not amazing, but not bad. It was a typical teenage story, but thankfully without all the unbearable romance. There was romance, but a good amount. The thing I liked was that there were a lot of other aspects to the books too: action, adventure, thrill, horror, fantasy and humour. There was a lot of other genres mixed in with the romance, some of which were as strong, which I found really helpful to get me into the story. My favourite part was that I didn't see the plot twists coming. At all. I have a reputation for predicting future events in books, but I couldn't even tell there was something big coming.

The characters were good. I certainly feel in love with Simon, he's adorable. I mean seriously. And I thought Jace and Clary made a good pair. I wasn't expecting it to work quite like that, but the relationship Clare produced was actually very believable and took advantage of the story, rather than overpowering it.

Overall, yes I enjoyed it, and I will be reading the other books in the series. I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy, thrillers and romance. I have a feeling the more typical-teenage-fiction lovers would be able to get more engrossed in it than I did for the pure example that they prefer the romance. But I definitely found enough else in this book to let me enjoy it.


Image Source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgLr9qsGrKS0WQJKINfj1zqT40gVey60AM2IFMv8aPf-r3WmX5XyoDuDtcKWzjZeb4R1oU8kXt1Erjr8cCK-YgY-2B1Qwr6oCXDshuPpULXeJ-nbDgjW7SkyASEsW6CRfPS_DsjZC6qwc0/s1600/city_of_bones.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment