Sunday 24 March 2013

Article 5


Book Title: Article 5
Author: Kristen Simmons
Series: Article 5 #1
Date Started: March 20th 2013
Date Completed: March 24th 2013
Genres: Dystopian, Thriller, Romance
Rating: Four stars
Review:

I really liked this book. I admit, the beginning gave me my doubts, and I was avoiding reading it first of all. But then, in about the third, fourth chapter in, I actually physically could not put the book down.
I was really surprised actually. To be honest, the majority of this book isn't crammed with dialogue and thinking about it, not a whole lot happens action-wise. Usually, this sort of thing would really annoy me. But actually, I was completely and utterly gripped.

The book is brilliantly written, and the characters were really believable. Usually when I say certain characters are believable I mean that I could see them possibly living in this world of the book. But Chase and Ember in this book, I could actually pick out parts of their personalities and compare them to my friends. Especially Chase. It was slightly unsettling how much he reminded me of someone, especially when his guard starts to go down in the later parts of the book.

I think something that was really unique for this book, and made the story interesting and different was the fact that the two main characters already knew each other, and had been in a relationship. Therefore, when we meet them again in different circumstances, we start to learn about them through a slower process. I found that, even though the story is told through Ember Miller's point of view, I could actually see how maybe Ember was conflicted and therefore some of her feelings were maybe unjust.
I did not see the plot twist coming. At all. Like I've said in previous reviews, I can usually tell when a climax is approaching etc. But I did not see this coming in the story, and I definitely didn't suspect what the plot twist actually was.

Final thing. I don't think I've mentioned this in any other reviews yet, so I'll mention it now. It takes a lot to make me cry. A lot. I have to really feel close to the characters to be effected by their emotions and what happens to them. And this book made me cry. Only a little bit, near the end. But it did actually make me cry.
I think it's because I could see so many elements of these characters in some of the people that mean the most to me in this world. And so it really got to me. But yes. This book made me cry. Which is an achievement, believe me.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes dystopian, romance, action, adventure books. Especially for fans of Marie Lu, Suzanne Collins and Moira Young.
But please don't get put off by the slow start. I had quite a few doubts when I started reading this book, and I was actually quite disappointed given all the praise it had been getting. But once you actually get to the third or fourth chapter, it picks up really quickly and I couldn't put the book down.



Image Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6d/Book_Cover_of_Article_5.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment